Monday, July 23, 2012

Beliefs or Convictions

I've been in church since nine months before I was born. It would be an understatement to say I have heard a lot of sermons. I've absorbed a lot of information, and heard a lot of opinions, but the ones that stuck with me are the ones that made me think upon what I based my beliefs.  When you've been in church all your life, you read the Bible and hear it read...a lot! I grew up in a Christian home, the 5th of 6 children, of parents who were staunch in their beliefs. My dad was a Baptist minister, so I can't plead ignorance of the Word of God.  

Like most kids do, I believed everything my parents taught me. Because I accepted Jesus into my heart at a very young age, I didn't question much about what I had been taught. I had a pretty solid and true foundation.  I am so thankful for that! Even as a grade-school student, I didn't hesitate to stand up for Jesus and for what I believed. I also have never been able to tolerate lack of respect of our elders. I may have taken it a bit too far, when in a righteous fit, I punched a guy in the face for being so disrespectful of one of our teachers. It was only a week or so before graduating from high school! I had had it with this student's attitude toward the teacher. Fortunately, I didn't get into any trouble with the teacher or with the school, but I was embarrassed I had done such a thing. As an adult, looking back, I'm not one bit sorry!!! He deserved what I did and more. I told my parents about the incident, and they were surprised I had punched him, but not at all that I had taken a stand for my teacher.  They were proud of me for that. We did have a little discussion about using my words instead of my fist. I am not at all a violent person, but whew, that flew all over me.

Back on subject, years later I heard a sermon about the difference between beliefs and convictions. The pastor said that a belief is something you base on information you have gathered or observed. He added that  conviction is something you are willing to die for. That was a light bulb moment for me. I realized I had quite a few beliefs, and I also had some convictions. One of my convictions is my belief that Jesus is the Son of God. He came to earth to live among us. He died for my sins, and was raised from the dead on the third day, and because I believe in Him and have received him, and I will live forever with Him in heaven. This changed from a belief to a conviction, because I have had years of experience of walking with Him in a one-on-one relationship. He is my best friend, my healer, my redeemer, my confidante, and so much more. He has never let me down, not one time! He has proven himself to me to be who He says He is. Jehovah God, the Messiah.

It is a conviction of mine that the Bible is the inspired word of God. I can read the Bible and see His faithfulness throughout history. I read prophecy and the fulfillment of that prophecy. I can see how it applies to me today. It was written over a period of hundreds of years, by many authors, but not once does it contradict itself. Archaeology has never proven it to be inaccurate. Excavations have proven otherwise, that the Bible is very accurate in relating history. It is also very accurate in relating the future. It is clear that the future is ordered by God Almighty, the Creator of the universe.

I am sure that over the course of the 60+ years of church attendance, that I have read the entire Bible. However, nearly four years ago, I started doing the One Year Bible study. It is a special Bible that is laid out to read certain passages each day of the year. You read some of the Old Testament, some of the New Testament, and a little of Psalms and Proverbs every day.  I really like it, because before when I would try to read the entire Bible through, I would start at Genesis and along about Numbers or Leviticus I would get bogged down. I didn't have a grip on how much to read to be able to complete it in a years time. The One-Year Bible has it perfectly planned out. In about 20 minutes per day, I can read the entire Bible through in exactly one year. This year marks the 4th year of reading it this way.  I have learned so much about God's character and expectations of us. I've learned even more about how great His love is for us, and the sacrifice of His son, Jesus, for all mankind. Reading the Bible in this way has served to reinforce my convictions. I am willing to die for my beliefs, should it ever come to that. "To die is gain.."  Heaven is my destination, so I would go to a perfect place to live forever.

Romans 3:23 tells us that we "all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." We need a savior! Romans 5:8 "But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." The Bible tells us that if we don't accept this gift of salvation that (Romans 6:23) "For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."  So how do you do this?  Romans 10:9 "that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your hearts that God has raised Him form the dead, you will be saved."  verse 13 "For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved."  How wonderful is this!!!!  

Do you have convictions, or just a bunch of beliefs? Are your beliefs based upon fact? Would you be willing to die for them?  It is good to ask ourselves these questions, because if we don't have convictions, we will fall for anything we hear. We must know why we believe what we believe and be ready to defend those beliefs.

I challenge you to dig a little deeper. Pick up the One Year Study Bible at your local Christian Bookstore, or download it to your e-reader. It will change your life!

Pam Archer
Women's Ministry Director