Thursday, November 29, 2012

ISBC WOW! ~ Woman of the Week Nov 30 ~ Tese Stephens


It is an honor to have been chosen as one of ISBC’s Women of the Week (WOW)!  My story has similarities with many other stories shared by women in our church and includes multiple “stages” of life.  I have been married to Scott Stephens for 23 years and we have one son, Hunter, who is 20 years old and a student at Tennessee Tech University.  We have been members at ISBC for approximately 10 years.  Scott and I both teach Sunday School -  Scott in a couples class and I teach 9th & 10th grade girls.  Hunter enjoyed many years in the youth department and has participated in several domestic and foreign mission trips.  He was one of ISBC’s youth interns this past summer. 

 
As a woman, I wear many hats.  First, I am a wife and mother and am so grateful God gave me the opportunity to experience both of these roles.  I am also a nurse educator and researcher.  My full-time job is as a faculty member at King College where I teach in their undergraduate and graduate nursing programs.  I also have an active program of research exploring resilience in nursing students, the health behaviors of nurses/nursing students, and the use of social media in nursing education. I am also a contributing author on the website NurseTogether.com.  It has been a great privilege to be able to present various aspects of my research at national conferences and to small groups.  I especially enjoy talking to students and faculty about these topics from a Biblical worldview.  I truly believe I have been “called” to my profession and am convinced God has allowed certain experiences to benefit me in my roles as educator and researcher.   While some of the experiences were difficult, I am thankful for the lessons learned from them.

 
My life has been filled with many blessings and opportunities.  As a family, we had the wonderful opportunity to live in Singapore.  We all three love to travel and enjoy learning about other cultures.  Since I married a South Carolina boy, we consider it our “second home” and love spending time in Charleston every chance we get (Go Clemson!).  I thoroughly enjoy my work, but cherish the moments when I have some free time.  As I have gotten older, I have learned to enjoy just “being” and to allow myself to fully embrace the rare, quiet moments of life.  During these times I enjoy knitting, reading, and walking. 

 
The book of Isaiah has always been one of my favorite books of the Bible, but it has become increasingly dear to my heart over the past few years.  I adopted Isaiah 43 as one of my guiding passages to “Remember who you are and to Whom you belong”.  Each day I pray for wisdom in all I do as a wife, mother, and educator.  I truly believe God has a plan for each of our lives and He has given us specific interests, abilities, and talents to fulfill this plan.  Additionally, I believe God has directed us to pursue excellence in whatever we do for His glory.  I strive to fulfill this by continually recalling His words in the following passages.

 

I Corinthians 10:31

“So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.”

 
2 Corinthians 8:7

“But since you excel in everything—in faith, in speech, in knowledge, in complete earnestness and in the love we have kindled in you—see that you also excel in this grace of giving.”
 
 
~ Submitted by Kathy Neal
ISBC Women's Ministry
Communications Coordinator