Friday, April 19, 2013

WOW! ISBC Woman of the Week April 19 ~ Sarah Guffey


 
 
My Testimony ~ Sarah Guffey

I was so fortunate to have grown up in a Godly home. I accepted Christ when I was in the fourth grade. I remember asking my mom and dad so many questions about Christ and His love and why He would die for me. My parents would always stop what they were doing and find a particular scripture that would help explain my question. It was on a Saturday that I decided I couldn’t go another day without asking Christ to come into my heart. I was baptized shortly after that, at ISBC by Tom Suitor. My parents were very instrumental in my spiritual growth and always encouraged me in my walk. I always looked forward to Sunday, because that meant I got to go to Sunday school. I am so blessed to have had wonderful godly teachers help me to learn the importance of my relationship with Christ, as well as, having a daily quiet time.

            When I got to middle school, I joined the youth group at ISBC. I am so thankful for the strong leaders that God called to lead our youth group. Middle school and high school brought challenges and frustrations; however, I knew that I had people I could talk to, and pray with, in youth group. I was very active in our youth group throughout middle and high school. I was a part of youth choir and the puppet team. God allowed me to serve in these ministries and build lasting relationships with others. While in the youth group, I was able to go on several mission trips to different places such as Pennsylvania, New Orleans, and Iowa. These trips allowed me to work with many different children, of all ages. I always enjoyed leading back yard bible clubs because I got to tell the kids bible stories and share scripture with them. I feel that this was a huge part of God’s plan for my life, in becoming a teacher.

            After I graduated from high school, I went to King College. Even though I attended a Christian college, I knew that there would be opportunities for me to share my faith with others. I joined an organization on campus called Fellowship of Christian Athletes and my junior and senior year, I was asked to be on the leadership team. God allowed me to meet so many people through FCA and share my faith with many different students on campus. He took me out of my comfort zone and helped me to be a leader on campus, for Him. As a result, relationships were built and people would ask me to pray with them or for them regarding something they were struggling with, or needed guidance for. I also had the privilege for working for the volleyball team at King. God taught me how to be a humble servant through this experience and what it means to put Him first, others second, and myself third. He allowed me to not just be a part of a team, but of a family, that cared about one another and prayed for each other daily. These girls helped me get through so many difficult times throughout college, such as, my parents getting a divorce, breaking up with the man I thought I was supposed to marry, and dealing with the stresses of assignments and exams. I know that God placed me at King for a reason. I am so thankful that I listened and obeyed Him when He told me to go there for college, because if I hadn’t, I would have missed out on so many blessings.  Also at King, I had the opportunity to go on a mission trip to Brazil.  God used this trip to reconfirm my passion for children. I was able to go to an orphanage there and spend time with children who would be seen as unfit and unlovable here in the states. These children were anything but that. Even though they didn’t speak English and I didn’t know any Portuguese, God allowed me to show them His love that day. While there, I also got to see the slums of Rio. I remember anticipating what it would be like there, on the bus ride over. When we got off the bus we were greeted by children with tattered clothes and dirty feet. They were glowing with excitement to see all of us. We got to perform a skit for them, during the church service, and I have never felt the spirit of the Lord so strongly, as in that moment. I was so overwhelmed I began to cry and just worship as the music played for our skit. God showed me that day that even though these people had nothing; they were so rich in His love and devotion to Him.

            Since graduating from college, I have been teaching Kindergarten for the past four years. I love this age group and am honored God has entrusted me with providing the foundation for these children. He provides opportunities daily, for me, to show His love to my students. In these past four years of teaching, He has taught me to completely rely on Him. He has provided me with patience like I have never known.

God has helped me to grow so much in my walk with Him, since I first asked Him to be the Lord of my life. There have been many challenges and obstacles I have had to face; however, I haven’t had to do it alone. He is my rock and has been my constant, when everything else has seemed to change. He is continuing to mold and shape me in His image and help me to be the Godly woman He wants me to be.  

“Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart.”  Psalm 37:4
 
 ~ Submitted by Jessica Poff
ISBC Women's Ministry
Events Coordinator