Friday, May 11, 2012

WOW! ISBC Woman of the week ~ Rachel O'Dell


Hi! My name is Rachel O’Dell and I am so excited and honored to be the WOW!!

I have lived in Kingsport for most of my life. I have gone to Indian Springs Baptist since I was a very young child. While at ISBC, I have been part of the Children and Youth Ministries, I have gone on several mission trips, both locally and overseas, and now I am very active in the Music Ministry. 

I was lucky enough and blessed to grow up in a strong Christian household, raised by my parents who were and continue to be great examples of Christian living. I accepted Christ as my Savior just a few weeks before my 10th birthday, during revival services. I have learned many things in my Christian walk, one of the biggest is trust.
I am the type of person that likes to see the big picture, everything all at once. When I can’t see that picture, I start to doubt. It is during those times that God says “Trust ME!” A time in my life when I really learned to trust God was shortly after I graduated college. I had the wonderful opportunity to attend Milligan College, where, when I graduated, I was not only prepared to be a teacher; I was prepared to be a servant leader. After graduation, I knew exactly where I needed to teach and I knew exactly what grade I needed to teach. I’m pretty sure I told God this also. But, God had other plans. After a frustrating time of job searching, I was ready to give up. Maybe teaching was not what I was supposed to do. Although, I knew that God had called me to work with young children and their families. One Sunday, in the summer of 2007, I gave it all up to God. I said “God, I believe you have a plan for me, but I need to trust you more!” I had to give everything up to Him and Trust Him! When I did, He blessed…beyond my wildest imagination. God blesses when we trust Him!
As you may or may not know, I teach Zumba classes at both campuses of ISBC. When I decided to get my Zumba license, the first thing I thought was “God, what are you up to? This is out of my comfort zone? How can I do this?” Then I prayed that if God really wanted me to serve him in this capacity, that He would prepare me and that He would open up doors. Well, He did! I have met so many wonderful people that have been such an encouragement to me. I pray for each class to be a ministry for each lady, or man, that comes to class -that they would leave class closer to God or maybe that they know they have a group of friends that will pray for them and encourage them. When people leave class saying “Thank you, I have found God again,” I get excited to know that God is using me….shy, quiet, me to serve Him in this way!
So, trust God, even when you don’t know what in the world He is doing! He knows! He has already created the big picture! He is just using His people to color in that picture!

~ Submitted by Kathy Neal
ISBC Women's Ministry
Communications Coordinator