Friday, June 8, 2012

ISBC Woman of the Week ~ Susie Toomey






I was born and raised in Big Orange Country (Knoxville).  I was a member of Mt. Olive Baptist Church, where I was actively involved in GAs, youth group, choir, Sunday School, Training Union (old term!) and anything else going on!  I asked Jesus to be Lord of my life during VBS when I was eleven years old.  I graduated from the University of Tennessee with a BS degree in physical education and recreation.  While at UT, I played on the UT volleyball team,  the UT badminton team,  and was actively involved in the Baptist Student Union (BSU), through which I served as a student summer missionary.  Following graduation, I was hired as the head volleyball coach at ETSU, where I coached for three years while working on my MA Degree.

Over the next eight or ten years, we moved a number of times, finally landing back in the Tri-Cities.  We joined ISBC around 1985. Since that time, it has been my joy to be a part of a number of ministries, including teaching Sunday School in the youth department and college department for over eighteen years, directing the youth mime, drama, and clown troupe, singing in the choir, serving on the women’s ministry team, serving on the building committee, and going on fifteen mission tours  and numerous youth conferences.

I have taught and coached at King College in Bristol since 1985, and was inducted into the King College Hall of Fame in 2012.  Besides coaching and teaching at King, I also had the opportunity to serve as the Director of Mission Outreach, the Interim Dean of Students, the Senior Woman Administrator, and the Interim Athletic Director. One of my most rewarding opportunities at King, however, has been taking King students on twenty two spring break and May term mission trips.  I think my early involvement in GAs as a child gave me a real desire to be involved in mission outreach.

Besides teaching and coaching for over thirty years, I also served as the Director of Christian Activities in two churches, was a BSU Director, was an activities director at a nursing home, have had three books on clowning and mime ministry published, and have led over twenty-five clowning  and mime seminars through the years.

The real joys of my life are my daughter Kelly, who teaches and coaches at Union University;  my son Chris who teaches and coaches at King College;  my two grand children, Isaac (almost 14) and Anna (11); and my son-in-law Michael who is the Minister to Families and Children at Englewood Baptist Church in Jackson, TN.

One of my favorite scripture verses is Ephesians 3:20, “Now glory be to God  who by His mighty power within us is able to do far more than we ever dare to ask or dream of- infinitely beyond our highest thoughts, desires, hopes, or prayers.”
~ Submitted by Kathy Neal
   ISBC Women's Ministry
   Communications Coordinator