Friday, June 29, 2012

Woman of the Week - Gerry Frazier


As Pastor Roc and Brother Mike say, "I have been in church since nine months before I was born."  I was a country girl, living between Pea Ridge and Nails Creek near the "big city" of Maryville, TN.


After graduating from Porter High School (where five generations of my family have attended), I spent four years at Carson Newman College, graduating in 1959 with a degree in English.  I had an interest in writing, but an opportunity became available to teach seventh grade language arts at Ross N. Robinson Junior High, in Kingsport.  During my ten years there, I met my husband D (not a student but a teacher).  We have been married 46 years.


I used to think God had something "special" for me and He always has-just not what I thought of as special.  In looking back, one "special" opportunity after another has come my way.  I have learned that my mission field is the person in my path on any given day.
I have not been out of the country.  However, over the years one of my joys has been teaching.  The first time I taught a Sunday School class , it was during  youth week at my church.  It was the oldest women's class. You would have thought Billy Graham had taught them!  They were wonderful encouragers.
Skipping to much later, I actually was able to bring God to the classroom when I was teaching.  Those days as I knew them, when we had chapel once a week, had prayer, read devotional books-are gone.  I do know that as long as a Christian is teaching, God is still there.
After our "baby", Mindy, was born, I was privileged to be a stay-at-home mom.  What a blessing!  I have also had the privilege of teaching in our church-starting with the four year olds, then the same people as eleventh and twelfth graders, then directing their weddings, then working with their children in the nursery-  "The Circle of Life".  A great  blessing has been to see these young ladies now in places of leadership where I once was.
In 1999, I was diagnosed with breast cancer and could not understand how God could possibly use that.  Was I wrong!  A few years ago, two or three of us felt God was  calling us to start a cancer support group in our church.  Before it became a reality, one of us was called to heaven (Anne Milam) .  Therefore the name "Anne's Sisters" is in her memory.  Our group is the only church group I don't want to see grow-but it does.  In ministering to these dear current patients I have found myself blessed and humbled immeasurably.  I have learned so much from the women going through the very worst that cancer can throw at you-by the grace of God.
When I was diagnosed with cancer, my wonderful Christian doctor quoted a scripture verse to me: "In every thing give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ concerning you."  I know now why he chose it.  God can use any circumstance unique to you to minister to someone else that no one else can.
It seems that grocery stores have often played a part in my ministry.  It was at a grocery store around 1975 that I met Sandy Allen, an old teacher friend, who introduced me to Indian Springs Baptist Church.  There have been God's special times for me in common settings, but especially the grocery store.  My latest opportunity was in the produce department of Food City. I was discussing the quality of their corn with a lady and found that she is going through some really bad times with cancer now.  We had some words, some tears and a prayer in the produce department.  Hope the manager didn't mind!  I don't think it is against the law, is it?
As I get older, I have to keep convincing myself that God is never through with us-and I understand that anything done in his name is "special".
My favorite song-and philosophy of life is in this song, "Not Too Far From Here", by Michael Crawford:
Somebody's down to their last dime
Somebody's running out of time
Not too far from here
Somebody's got nowhere else to go
Somebody needs a little hope
Not too far from here

And I may not know their name
But I'm praying just the same
That You'll use me, Lord
To wipe away the tears
'Cause somebody's crying
Not too far from here

Somebody's troubled and confused
Somebody's got nothing left to lose
Not too far from here
Somebody's forgotten how to trust
And somebody's dying for love
Not too far from here

It may be a stranger's face
But I'm praying for Your grace
To move in me
And take away the fear
'Cause somebody's hurting
Not too far from here

Help me, Lord, not to turn away from pain
Help me not to rest, while those around me weep
Give me Your strength and compassion
When somebody finds, the road of life too steep

Somebody's troubled and confused
Somebody's got nothing left to lose
Not too far from here
(Not too far)
Somebody's forgotten how to trust
And somebody's dying for love
Not too far from here
(Not too far)

Now I'm letting down my guard
And I'm opening my heart
Help me speak Your love
To every needful ear
Someone is waiting
Not too far from here
(Not too far)

Someone is waiting
(Waiting)
Not too far from here
Submitted by Kathy Neal
Women's Ministry Communications Coordinator