Friday, July 27, 2012

WOW!-July27th-Glenda Duncan

My name is Glenda Frye Duncan. I was born and raised in the Kingsport area. My family was small. I have one sister. My Dad was one of 18 children with the same mother and dad, who was a Methodist preacher. So I have many cousins.

I married Bill Duncan, who was my high school sweetheart, on Friday after I graduated high school on Monday. When I started dating Bill I was not a Christian. He was a strong Christian and soon led me to the Lord. We have 3 children, that I stayed home with until the oldest became college age. I then went to Northeast State and took computer programming. I went to work for CitiBank and worked until we retired.
Our dream at retirement was to do mission work. We joined a group called Mobile Missionary Assistance Program. It was non-denominational, and an RV was a requirement for your lodging. We started working 3 or 4 months a year. The work was remodeling or construction for the men, and the ladies worked in offices, kitchens, did painting or sewing, even yard work. It was very rewarding, as a lot of it was at schools for troubled children, camps for children or small churches without much financing available. We soon sold or gave away all our possessions and were working full time. We were on the road in a motor home doing mission work for 3 ½ years.
Due to aging parents we came back to Kingsport to help with their care. That is where we are today, caring for my 95 year old Mother. We have seven grandchildren and a 3 month old great grandson to enjoy.
We attended ISBC several years ago when our children were teenagers. After moving to Colonial Heights, we went to church in that area. We came back to ISBC after moving back to Cooks Valley. This is home for us and we love and appreciate our church family.
Submitted by Kathy Neal
Communications Coordinator