Friday, May 3, 2013

WOW! ISBC Woman of the Week May 3 ~ Lauren Warren

 
 Woman of the Week…I don’t deserve such an honorable title.
I feel like every story should begin with…

Once upon a time, I was raised in a very busy home. With parents finishing their degrees and four children running around it was always chaos in the Alexander household. Even with the chaos, my parents made time for church. I went every Sunday morning, Sunday night and Wednesday evening…with the occasional Tuesday night visitation. While attending Centrifuge in Panama City, Florida, I accepted Christ as my Savior at the age of 14. Desiring to give my all to God, I became a leader in my youth group. I loved everything about it!
After high school, I got a little side-tracked from God. I made new friends in college and made many, many bad decisions. I continued to go to church and still had a deep desire for God to use me. But, instead of going toward God, I chose sin instead.
While in this lifestyle, I chose a man to marry. Yes, you read that correctly…I chose a man to marry. It was a terrible marriage. I knew it from the start. Even before I said “I do”. I kept sinking farther and farther from my God, deep into an abyss of depression. In the midst of this depression, hurt, anger and abuse I finally opened my eyes to the Light. I had one of those Paul moments like on the Road to Damascus. It’s as if God opened my eyes to all of my sin, all of my heartache, all of my turmoil. I dropped down on my knees and cried out to God. I cried and prayed for hours and hours until suddenly this peace came over me…a peace like a river. I vowed at that moment to really give my ALL to God and let Him take control. I ended up getting divorced and moving on from that lifestyle.
God blessed me in ways I never thought were possible. You see, I had met this guy back in my “wild” days…a guy I always had strong feelings for. He was my best friend. I had known him for 15 years. He started following Christ a few months before I experienced my redemption. One day it just clicked. We enjoyed worshipping together, singing together, praying together and serving the Lord. Our prayers for God’s will had been answered.
This time God chose the man I was to marry. Wes and I were married in January 2010 at the Sullivan County Courthouse. We renewed our vows in front of family and friends in July 2010 where we met at Northeast State. We have two beautiful children, Shelby and Micah. God has truly blessed our lives together. Along with a great support system at home, I have an uplifting family and incredible friends that give hugs and prayers anytime they are needed. God is good!
Since I have been redeemed by the blood of the Lamb, I have given my ALL to God. He has called me to Indian Springs Baptist Church. God is using me in the children’s ministry. I am currently the 2 year old Sunday School class teacher and the Awana Cubbies Director. God continues to use me in so many different ways at church…ways that I never thought I could be used.
Thank you for this opportunity to share my story of repentance, redemption and renewal. God is a forgiving God. He gave His son, Jesus, to die for my sins…for your sins. If you are experiencing or have experienced life as I have, I encourage you to find me. I would love to talk with you. You are in my prayers.

I leave you with my favorite verse.
Jeremiah 29:11-14 For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you, declares the Lord, and will bring you back from captivity.

De Colores!
 
~ Submitted by Jessica Poff
ISBC Women's Ministry
Events Coordinator