Monday, December 10, 2012

Healthy Eating On a Budget

Proverbs 3:9    
Honor the Lord with your wealth and with the firstfruits of all your produce

The biggest question/ complaint I hear when I talk about healthy eating is " It's too expensive.  I can't afford to eat healthy."  I find that very interesting.  I, personally, can't afford not to eat healthy.  My grocery bill is no more eating healthy and clean, that it was before.  I have always been a health conscious person.  I am a nurse and my goal for me and my family is to treat our bodies like temples and keep them healthy so we can carry out God's purpose in our lives.  Notice that I said "keep" them healthy.  It is a lot easier to maintain something than to fix it when it's already broken.  That goes for our bodies among many other things..(clear throat..like home repairs, Chad :D ) Might I say, the cost of pills and Dr's office visits will be much more than a grocery bill containing healthy items.  But, for some people, they are very concerned about eating clean and healthy and the effects on their wallet.  So, here are a few of my tips and secrets.

How to Eat Healthy and Keep Your Wallet Fat

Step 1

Trade processed foods for fresh fruits and vegetables. Processed foods such as chips, cookies, candy and other snack foods generally cost more than fruits and vegetables and are also higher in fat and calories. Eating a piece of fruit or a bag of freshly sliced vegetables will not only save you money, but will also save you fat and calories. Additionally, fruits and vegetables contain vitamins, minerals and cancer-fighting antioxidants that junk foods do not have.
 

Step 2

Make a meal plan and stick to it. If you go to the grocery store without a shopping list, you're more likely to buy impulse items such as chips and crackers. Instead, create a meal plan in which you map out all of your meals for the week, then write down a grocery list based on your meal plans. This way, there is little risk of you spending too much money on impulse items, which are also usually unhealthy.  At a loss for meal ideas?? I get the Clean Eating Magazine and Whole Living Magazine and they have wonderful recipes and new ideas every month!!
 

Step 3

 
Portion Control. Although this should be obvious, eating less automatically equals less food and less cost. Keeping your portions in check will also ensure you are sticking to your diet plan. Be sure to measure and weigh all your food to keep your portions under control.
 

Step4

 
Buy from your local farmer's market or farmer.  I buy all my beef from my favorite farm girl and it's cheaper than the store, I know where it comes from, I know what the cow's where fed, and how the cow's were treated. I buy whatever she has in season as far as fruits and veggies and some of her canned goods in the winter.  It's cheaper and better than my local grocer!! Downtown Kingsport has a farmer's market indoor place now!
 

Step 5

Use coupons.  You are right, they don't make coupons for produce and meats....you know the foods God creates.  BUT..there are lots of coupons out there for healthy items..Mambo Sprouts (click here)is a really good one.  Also, did you know that on Earth Fare's website they offer some coupons from manufacturer's that can be used anywhere those products are sold! Click here for Earth Fare Coupons.
 
 ~ Submitted by Brandy Kisner