Monday, April 30, 2012

True Praise and Worship


"So I'll stand, with arms high and heart abandoned, 
in awe of the one who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul Lord to you surrender.
All I am is yours." - The Stand, by Hillsong

This picture of these children singing and worshiping God exemplifies pure praise and worship.  With precious abandon, they lift their hearts and souls to Him.  Notice that a couple of them have hands uplifted, a couple more have hands over their hearts, or eyes closed, tuning out all others. The child in the red has her hands clasped, and the child's face behind her says it allOne thing stands out to me about this picture.  They're all IN!  They have no worries about what anyone around them is thinking.  They are focused solely on their purpose in the moment, and that is to praise God.

This picture is so different from the way I was raised. A pastor's daughter, we were taught to be prim and proper in church. Our white-gloved hands were crossed and laid upon our laps, on our neatly pressed and stiffly starched dresses.  Being reserved was equivalent to being godly.  Being composed and poised were highly stressed in my very strict, very southern, and very Baptist home. 

It's almost peculiar how our environment can so deeply shape us; how our minds so quickly adapt and accept what we are taught. Not that there is anything wrong at all with being ladylike, we most certainly should conduct ourselves like ladies. However, to equate worship with a set of rules and standards negates what true praise and worship is.

A few years ago, I sat down in the sanctuary one Sunday morning.  On the screen was a definition of worship. I don't remember exactly what it said, but it went straight to my heart. It was an ah-ha moment for me.  Basically, it said that worship isn't about us, but it is all about Jesus.  I was reminded of the chorus we had sung, "I'm going back to the heart of worship, and it's all about you, it's all about you Jesus.  I'm sorry, Lord, for the thing I've made it, when it's all about you, it's all about you."

So many times before, I had felt like raising my hands in worship to the Father, but was afraid of what the people around me would think.  I didn't want anybody to think I thought I was anything special or that I think I am some Super-Christian. The Holy Spirit spoke to my heart when I read the definition of worship.  "Pam, you are being a hypocrite!" A hypocrite?  I wondered. "Yes, a hypocrite!" What do you mean, Lord? "You want to raise your hands and heart to me in praise and you don't because you are thinking about what others would think about you.  You aren't being real!"  Woah!  I had never thought of my being reserved in worship in this way before. "Worship isn't about you.  It's about me!"  He continued. I sank deeper into my chair as I came to a realization that I had been so steeped in tradition, that I couldn't be real before God.  I asked God's forgiveness and repented that day, and He released me to be free in my worship.

Does this mean that everyone should raise their hands when they praise God?  NO!  Praise or worship is what it is.  It is an act before God and about God.  It's not an emotion.  It's not singing a pretty song.  It isn't performing a pretty song.  It's not a preference or a style.  Rather, it is allowing the overflow of our hearts to pour out before Him in adoration, thankfulness, humility, awareness, awe, obedience, and recognition of His almighty power and omnipotence. This can occur during prayer, Bible study, singing, and through the spoken word.  It can occur in a worship service, while driving, while alone on a mountaintop, sitting on our back porch, or on our knees by the bed. The where or the how does not matter.  It's the attitude of the heart that determines praise and worship. 

Oh that we would become free from the preconceived notions about what worship and praise are. If we could only recognize that worship and praise should not be governed by a bunch of do's and don'ts or rules and regulations, we could experience them as these children do.  

A young child and her parents were sitting in front of me during service.  We were standing and singing.  The little girl raised her hands in excitement and innocence.  The mother quickly grabbed her arm and pulled it down, shaking her head no-don't do that.  My heart was sad as I saw this mother quench the spirit of this innocent child, who was praising God in her way.

The Psalms are full of scripture about praising God.  "Praise Him with loud, clanging symbols."  "Praise Him with the dance."  The Bible teaches us how to praise.  King David knew how to praise God. We can learn from him. Paul and Silas knew a thing or two about praise, too.

Pray that God would open your eyes and heart to learn how to praise Him.  Pray for freedom from anything or anyone who would hold you back from expressing your love for Him.  Learn to tune out others as you praise God. It will deepen your relationship with Him, and He will receive all the glory and praise that He deserves.

The Stand:



The Heart of Worship:

 
Come back tomorrow and hear from our Health & Wellness Coordinator, Brandy Kisner.

Pam Archer, Director
ISBC Women's Ministry