Friday, April 13, 2012

WOW! ISBC Woman of the Week - Christy Brister

Michael, Jacob, Joel, and Christy
This week's ISBC's WOW is Christy Brister. Read below for Christy's story in her own words:


WOW! I was very honored to be asked to be this week’s WOW! I was also very humbled as well. I am a little shy and really just love reading about what God has and is doing in other WOW’s lives. I do hope that my little testimony will speak to those who may be having a hard time right now. Remember, Jehovah Jireh, God will provide.


I am just a country girl, who grew up on a small dairy farm in Mississippi. My parents were not regular church attendees however, God provided me and my siblings with a next door neighbor. Thanks to that neighbor, I was able to be just as involved as any other kid. GA’s, Acteens, Bible Drill, you name it and my neighbor would pick me up and take me. When I was in college, I attended BSU (Baptist Student Union). One night, while we were having an event at the BSU, I looked out the window and saw a man who appeared to be standing in the bushes looking into the building. I asked one of my friends, “Who is that fool in the bushes?” Well, Joel was there to see a friend and was trying to figure out if he was at the right building. In less than year we were married and began our life at New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary. We will be celebrating our 20th anniversary this August.

God has provided for us in so many ways over those 20 years. We have ministered to churches in Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana and now Tennessee. I have been blessed to work in many areas of the church, from teaching youth and children to singing in the choir. God also blessed me with a variety of work experiences. I have done a little of everything from substitute teaching, customer service, and secretarial work. I have been able to see God’s hand leading in the places I have worked, including my current job as Ministry Assistant/Financial Secretary for the Sullivan Baptist Association. I started the week we moved here in August 2008. My house was still in boxes; but it was the perfect fit. God also provided us with 2 wonderful sons. Jacob, 18 is a freshman at Northeast State studying drama. Michael, 15 is a freshman at Sullivan Central and hopes to study software engineering.

Being in full-time ministry, there have been many blessings. There have also been hard times. When you work with the public that is sometimes the case. However, the blessings far outweigh those difficult times. At one church, Joel had resigned his position and we were having to move in with his parents (since we lived in the church parsonage). I was substitute teaching at the middle school and was feeling sorry for myself during the lunch break. That was when God provided once again just what He knew I needed most. I looked up at the teacher’s bulletin board and read this written from God’s perspective. I leave you with this thought:
"I see you struggling and know the anguish of your soul. I know it seems as if I’ve forgotten you, but your troubles are only temporary. After you have suffered for a while, I’ll personally restore you and make you strong, firm, and steadfast. You’ll be amazed by the eternal brilliance of My glory that will be revealed in you." Psalm 22:24, 31:7; 2 Corinthians 4:17; 1 Peter 5:10