Thursday, October 25, 2012

Hindsight is 20/20

Teddy - Sorry


I have a friend who has been going through not only some difficult life situations but has been stricken with illness for quite some time.  She has not been to church in a long while.  I have tried to encourage her and get her to come back to church.  But recently I felt that I really needed to lay the cards out on the table and tell her - spiritual warfare is being waged against her, and it seems so obvious to me.  When dealing with someone else's problems we often feel that from the outside looking in, we "see more than they might see."

Well, lets just say.. it backfired. Not only did she not heed what I was telling her, but it also has turned her against any of my words.  Although I meant to be encouraging, she didn't take it that way. As I sought her forgiveness, she refused to respond.

I have prayed for this person for a long time, but when I literally poured my heart out to God about the situation, He took me to a passage;  Luke 18.  It's Jesus talking in a parable to show times that we ought to pray and not lose heart.  He says "in a certain city there was a judge who did not fear God and did not respect man. There was a widow in that city and she kept coming to him, saying "give me legal protection from my opponent." For a while he was unwilling"

At this point in the verses I was thinking, okay, maybe the Lord is revealing persistence, which is what I have shown by continually approaching my friend although she has been unwilling to respond. Then it continues, "but afterward he said to himself  'even though I do not fear God nor respect man, yet because this widow bothers me, I will give her legal protection, otherwise by continually coming she will wear me out'".  Of course then my thought process was , ' Oh, this is interesting, maybe if my friend comes back to church just because I am bothering her into it then God will have His way with her, even though she came for the wrong reasons'.  Then verse 6.... "And the Lord said, now, will not God bring about justice for His elect who cry out to Him day and night, and will He delay long over them? I tell you that He will bring about justice for them quickly."

Then the passage came to life.  I was bothering her and that was wrong in itself.  I can't bring anyone to any place I think they should be, God will.  He will.

Instead of me pushing her, bothering her, pursuing her, I should have cried out to God for her day and night, so that He could do His work.   Instead, I have pushed her away.   Although my intentions were good intentions, they failed.   Hind sight is 20/20...

Has this happened to you?   Maybe you are in a situation where you can't see justice prevail.  Maybe you have sought counsel with godly people, maybe you were doing what you 'thought' were all the right things.. but in all reality, we just need some time with God.  Those times we spend on our knees with the Creator of The World, are precious times.  To think that we get to go into His presence, because of the blood of His Son!  Maybe in your situation, this is the answer you need as well.. as He will not delay, but come quickly to to His children who cry out to Him.

~ Submitted by Jeni Morelock